Perils along the Patuxent
Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
Citizens of Southern Maryland suffered more raids and skirmishes than residents anywhere else in the Chesapeake region. The British invaders moved up and down the river leaving panic, horror, and destruction in their wake.
To learn more about the war along the Patuxent visit:
*Patuxent Naval Air Museum-War of 1812 exhibits
*Benedict-British landing site for the assault on Washington
*Calvert Marine Museum-Interactive map depicting the British invasion route; artifacts from the scuttled American flotilla, water access
*Scotterley Plantation-Restored 18th century plantation site for militia during the war.
*Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum-Exhibits, site of the largest naval engagement in Maryland history.
(Inscription on the image in the upper right)
Barney’s flotillamen fought from open bargers against enemy ships superior in size and number
(Inscription next to the image in the lower right)
British raiders stole provisions and keepsakes
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 19.893′ N, 76° 27.958′ W. Marker is in Solomons, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Solomons Island Road. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Solomons Island Visitor Center. Marker is in this post office area: Solomons MD 20688, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calvert County (within shouting distance of this marker); Drum Point Lighthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marine Railway Gears (about 500 feet away); Menace on the Horizon (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Drum Point Lighthouse (about 700 feet away); Wm. B. Tennison (approx. 0.2 miles away); Apt Anchorage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Solomon's Island (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Solomons.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.