An Answer To Prayer
Stephen Easley, a native of Pawhuska, and his wife Debra noticed the unique architectural design of the Whiting apartment buildings and said a simple prayer. The Whiting Apartments had much character and lots of potential, but were in a dilapidated condition and in much need of restoration. Stephen and Debra, knowing they wanted to make Pawhuska their home, wanted to make a difference. Both were actively involved in the Pawhuska Chamber of Commerce and the revitalization of the Downtown. They had already started an Auction business out of their home and knew that they could use the downtown property as a new location for their business. After doing a bit of research, the Easleys found that the building had been divided by a previous owner, James Teryian. Mr. Teryian sold the north 3/4's of the buildings to the Burton's [sic] of Bartlesville and kept the south quarter for his daughter, Adeline Teryian. Although it was disappointing to know that the building was not owned as one complete block, the Easleys decided to contact Mrs. Burton, the owner of the north 3/4's of the building, to see if she was interested in selling her portion of the buildings. They arranged to meet with Mrs. Burton to discuss a purchase price. Before going, Stephen and Debra prayed about "the price." Mrs. Burton told wonderful stories about the Whiting Apartment
"We believe the Lord answered our prayers," says Debra and "he has continued to bless us and answer many more since." The following year, the Easleys were approached by the Teryian family owners of the remaining portion of the building to see if they would like to purchase it as well. The Easleys did purchase the remaining portion of the buildings, and the rest is history.
Commercial Space 705
1925 - Frank McConnell, rear M. E. Peynor
1928 - Mrs. Francis Thomas Beauty Parlor
1956 - Tayrein Real Estate
Commercial Space 707
1928 - John C.
1936 - Kihekah Indian Bead Work & Novelties
1956 - Greagoff Electric
Location. 36° 39.947′ N, 96° 20.348′ W. Marker is in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, in Osage County. Marker is on Kihekah Avenue north of 7th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705-707 Kihekah Avenue, Pawhuska OK 74056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Restoring the Whiting Apartments (a few steps from this marker); Vernon Whiting (a few steps from this marker); "Million Dollar Elm" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oil in the Osage Indian Nation and the "Million Dollar Elm" (about 700 feet away); Friendship Between the Osage and the Occitan of Montauban (about 700 feet away); "Osage in the Enemy Camp" (about 700 feet away); Site of the First Osage Agency Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blacksmith Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pawhuska.
More about this marker. Marker is on the street-level center column between the two commercial units.
Also see . . . Historic Pawhuska Hotel Offers Alternative To Chain Hotels. (Submitted on March 1, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 1, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.