Québec in Capitale-Nationale (region), Quebec — French Canadian Region
This building was constructed between 1861 and 1871 according to plans by architect Charles Baillairgé (1826-1906), whose name it now bears. Until 1970, it served as Quebec City’s prison. The building’s outstanding restoration was completed in 1991, when it became part of the museum. The Charles Baillairgé pavillon was classified as a historical monument in 1997.
Ce bâtiment a été construite de 1861 à 1871 d’après les plans de l’architecte Charles Baillairgé (1826-1906) dont il porte aujourd’hui le nom. Il a abrité la Prison de Québec jusqu’en 1970. Qualifiée d’exemplaire, la restauration de l’édifice a été complétée en 1991 en vue de sa nouvelle vocation muséale. Le pavillon Charles-Baillaigé a été classé a monument historique en 1997.
Erected by Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec.
Location. 46° 48.004′ N, 71° 13.453′ W. Marker is in Québec, Quebec, in Capitale-Nationale (region). Marker is on Avenue George VI just from Avenue Wolfe Montcalm, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Québec, Quebec G1R 2L3, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wolfe Monument (within shouting distance of this Quebec City Astronomical Observatory (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); National Eucharistic Congress (about 210 meters away); Bragg’s 28th Foot, (about 240 meters away); Here, on the very eve of victory (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); The “Louisbourg Grenadiers” (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The / Le Royal Roussillon, (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Frederick G. Todd (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Québec.
More about this marker. This building is in National Battlefields Historic Park near the Wolfe Monument.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.