Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crowell in Foard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Foard County Courthouse

 
 
Foard County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 7, 2015
1. Foard County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. This is the second courthouse to serve Foard County since its creation in 1891. By 1909, the first courthouse proved too small for the needs of the county, and voters passed a bond election for the purpose of building a new one. The Commissioners Court selected Elmer G. Withers as architect, R.H. Stuckey as superintendent, and G.W. Brillhart of Abilene as contractor. Completed in 1910, the Classical Revival courthouse featured a statue of Lady Justice atop a domed cupola with paired Corinthian columns on each side. Tornado damage in 1942 resulted in the loss of these features, but the courthouse was repaired and still retains the basic configuration of its original design.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001

 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12719.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Spirit of the American Doughboy - E. M. Viquesney marker series.
 
Location. 33° 59.012′ N, 99° 43.489′ W. Marker is in Crowell, Texas, in Foard County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 6) and Commerce Street (U.S. 70), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in the southwest
Foard County Courthouse and First Officials of Foard County Markers image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 7, 2015
2. Foard County Courthouse and First Officials of Foard County Markers
corner of the grounds of the Foard County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Crowell TX 79227, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Officials of Foard County (here, next to this marker); Foard Co (a few steps from this marker); Robert L. Foard (a few steps from this marker); Pease River Battlefield (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quanah Parker and the Comanches (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crowell Schools (approx. half a mile away); Foard County (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crowell.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Foard County Courthouse. From TexasEscapes.com. Includes a 1939 photograph showing the building with the Lady of Justice statue, domed cupola, and Corinthian columns. (Submitted on March 12, 2015.) 

2. Spirit of the American Doughboy at Crowell, Texas. (Submitted on February 5, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Foard County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 7, 2015
3. Foard County Courthouse
View to east from Main Street (State Highway 6)
Foard County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 7, 2015
4. Foard County Courthouse
View to northeast
Foard County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 7, 2015
5. Foard County Courthouse
View to southeast from intersection of Main St and Commerce St, with "The Spirit of the American Doughboy" (left) and "Spirit of the American Navy" (right).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 12, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement