Dennison in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dennison Railway Chapel / The Manse
Dennison Railway Chapel
From its founding in 1865, Dennison was a railroad town and became the second largest rail center for the Pennsylvania Railroad. Rail presence was so strong that the industry dictated social and economic development throughout the community. For example, the Railway Chapel, the historic name for the First Presbyterian Church of Dennison was built because W.W. Card, Pennsylvania Railroad Superintendent, saw a spiritual need in the community. As the first church built in Dennison, Card contacted the Presbytery of Steubenville to start the church, arranged for donation of land, provided for financing from railway officials, and arranged for labor and material from the railroad. Railroad workers constructed the furnishing for the church with walnut pews built by the Dennison Car Shops. The pews have reversible backs, designed after ones in passenger cars. The church was dedicated in April 1871 and listed on the National Register of Historical Places in 2009.
The Presbyterian Manse, the dwelling for the Railway Chapel's minister and family, was
Erected 2009 by Dennison Presbyterian Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-79.)
Location. 40° 23.595′ N, 81° 20.02′ W. Marker is in Dennison, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is at the intersection of Grant Street and North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on Grant Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dennison OH 44621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dennison High School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dennison Yard and Shops / Dennison Depot (about 500 feet away); Uhrich's Mill 1806 / Clay Capital 1833-1980s The Ohio & Erie Canal in Warwick Township (approx. 3.9 miles away); Gnadenhutten / The Gnadenhutten Massacre, "A Day of Shame" (approx. 6 miles away); Schoenbrunn Schoolhouse 1772 / Schoenbrunn Church 1772 (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Seven Ranges (approx. 6.6 miles away); Tappan (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dennison.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Dennison Railway Chapel / The Manse.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 15, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.