Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Webb Building & Old Livery Stable

No.4

 

—Historic Main Street -Jackson —

 
Webb Building & Old Livery Stable Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
1. Webb Building & Old Livery Stable Marker
Inscription.
Brick livery survived
1862 fire.

1898, c1860

 
Erected by Jackson Business & Community Association. (Marker Number 4.)
 
Location. 38° 20.904′ N, 120° 46.427′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15-19 North Main Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lory, Gallo Hotel & Astor House (a few steps from this marker); Hangman's Tree (a few steps from this marker); Wells Fargo & Co. Express and Banking Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Hotel & Odd Fellows Hall Lodge #36 (within shouting distance of this marker); Tellier's St. Louis Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Wells Fargo Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Sharp's Drug, Ginocchio's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Adam's Express Agency (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Regarding Webb Building & Old Livery Stable. From the "Walking Main Street Jackson" tour
Webb Building & Old Livery Stable Building image. Click for full size.
By James King, January 25, 2015
2. Webb Building & Old Livery Stable Building
This plaque is to the left of the arched window in the red-brick.
brochure: In the 1890s, Amador Ledger publisher Richard Webb purchased "air rights" over the existing brick Peek and Newman livery, thus three-fourths of the building dates from 1898. The livery portion? One wall from 1856, the rest from 1860. A bank leased the livery space in the 1970s. Architect Gordon Fisk redesigned its facade, echoing the traditional livery entrance. For about 60 years the Amador Ledger was housed in the southerly half of the building before moving to Martell. South of the Webb building is Wells Fargo Bank which purchased the old Bank of Amador County circa 1965, thus returning to the exact spot where historic Wells, Fargo & Co. in the two-story, fancy Union House was located in late 1854-55!
 
Also see . . .  "Walking Main Street Jackson" Tour Brochure. This is in PDF format. (Submitted on March 20, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 20, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 20, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement