Near Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
After World War I, the versatile M1918M1 gun and its M1918A1 carriage were adapted for coast defense. Although the gun could be traversed over a wider range than other large guns of the period, it was still unable to adequately track moving targets. This deficiency was rectified by the development during the 1920’s of circular concrete gun emplacements in the Panama Canal Zone.
When emplaced on these simple, inexpensive, Panama mounts, the 155mm GPF was an effective alternative to older more complex coast defense weapons emplaced in large concrete batteries such as Battery Duportail’s 12-inch “Disappearing Rifles.”
During World War II, two Battery F, 50th Coast Artillery’s 155mm GPF’s were mounted on two Panama mounts that were constructed on top of Fort Morgan. The emplacement located on Bastion #4 is the last Panama mount at Fort Morgan.
Location. 30° 13.685′ N, 88° 1.406′ W. Marker is near Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from Fort Morgan Road (Alabama Route 180) 1.7 miles west of Dune Drive (Route 180). Touch for map. Located in Fort Morgan State Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are The Battle of Mobile Bay (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Mobile Bay (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Mobile Bay (a few steps from this marker); Citadel (1825-1865) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Citadel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battery Thomas (1898-1917) (about 300 feet away); Fort Bowyer War of 1812 (about 500 feet away but has been reported missing); 6.4” (100 pounder) Parrott Rifle / 7” Brooke Rifle (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
More about this marker. This marker is within the walls of historic Fort Morgan. The marker can be found on the top level, west side of Battery Duportail.
Also see . . . Fort Morgan, Guardian On The Bay. (Submitted on October 2, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 737 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on March 21, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 2, 2013, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.