Barbour County / Early Barbour County Commissioners
On this site in 1833 was erected the first Barbour County Court House, a round log building 20 feet square. The first county seat was located at Louisville which had previously served as the county seat of Pike. This old Pike County Court House was temporarily used until the site was changed to Clayton. The first Circuit Court was held in Clayton on September 23, 1833. Barbour County was created by an act of the Legislature meeting in the state capitol of Tuscaloosa on December 18, 1832. It was one of the political subdivisions carved out of the land ceded by the Creek Indians under the treaty of March 1832.
Early Barbour County Commissioners
Eleven commissioners were appointed to select a centrally located site for a permanent seat-of-justice, to be named Clayton, in honor of Augustin S. Clayton, a distinguished jurist of Georgia who represented his state in Congress from 1831-1835. The commissioners appointed by the Alabama Legislature were Jacob Utery, Daniel McKenzie, William Cadenhead, James A. Head, William Norton, William Bush, Green Beauchamp, Samuel G. B. Adams, Noah B. Cole, Robert Richards and T.W. Pugh.
Erected 1978 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Location. 31° 52.699′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jere Locke Beasley (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Clayton, Alabama/Clayton’s Architectural Heritage (within shouting distance of this marker); Octagon House (within shouting distance of this marker); Grace Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Miller – Martin Townhouse (approx. ¼ mile away); George Corley Wallace, Lurleen Burns Wallace Governors of Alabama (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Louisville (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clayton.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2010, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 781 times since then and 72 times this year. Last updated on March 23, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1. submitted on December 18, 2010, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. 2. submitted on November 1, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.