Cold Spring Hotel
In 1841, Phillip Sheffer bought from William Heathcote, the land on both sides of Main Street from Church Street to the Railroad crossing. In 1858, Sheffer sold the property at 45-55 Main Street, then called the tavern lot, to George Moessinger, who built the Cold Spring Hotel, a three-story structure with a full balcony. The hotel took its name from a spring of water located in the courtyard. In the 1890's the hotel had thirty rooms and offered patrons electricity. The hotel operated under the name Hotel Glen from the early 1900's until March 1927. At this time George W. and Harry C. Geiple bought the hotel and the house next door. They contracted with M. L. McMillan of Glen Rock to demolish the buildings and build this building which was opened in 1928 as a furniture store and mortuary. The present funeral home was added in 1955.
Erected 2011 by Glen Rock Historical Preservation Society, PeoplesBank, Geiple Funeral Home and Glen Rock American Legion.
Location. 39° 47.669′ N, 76° 43.897′ W. Marker is in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 216/616) and Church Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trains, Grains, and More Trains (within shouting distance of this marker); Creek and Rail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Glen Rock Woolen-Flour & Feed Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roland Forrest Seitz (about 500 feet away); Item Building / Bixler's (about 600 feet away); The First National Bank (about 600 feet away); Glen Rock Auditorium (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Rock.
Also see . . .
1. History of Glen Rock, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of the Geiple Funeral Home, Inc., Glen Rock PA. (Submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.