Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Julian in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Frary House

1897

 
 
Frary House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 31, 2015
1. Frary House Marker
Inscription. Almon Phineas Frary, Jr. and his bride, Elizabeth, assembled this small house, typical of Julian, by joining Al's miner's cabin to an abandoned one-room school house on the site of the dismantled Overland Hotel & Saloon and Julian's second town hall. Almon, born c.1855 Placer County, came here in the 1870 gold rush and, with his father, developed the rich Stonewall Mine. He worked every major Julian mine, owning the Ella and Eagle. Childless “Frary,” 86, died 1940: Al 88, 1943, lifelong promoters of the Julian Mining District.
 
Erected by Julian Historical Society.
 
Location. 33° 4.649′ N, 116° 36.067′ W. Marker is in Julian, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2019 Main Street, Julian CA 92036, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hoskings Rental (within shouting distance of this marker); De Luca House (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Robinson (within shouting distance of this marker); Julian Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker);
Frary House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 31, 2015
2. Frary House Marker
F.L. Blanc Warehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wilcox Building (about 300 feet away); Julian / The Eagle Gold Mine (about 300 feet away); Wheelbarrow Odometer Survey of 1894 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Julian.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement