Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rosslyn

 
 
Rosslyn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 18, 2015
1. Rosslyn Marker
Inscription. Rosslyn traditionally has served as a principal gateway to Arlington and to Virginia. Captain John Smith explored this area in 1608. Awbrey's Ferry carried travelers across the Potomac for more than a century in the 1700s and 1800s. The Aqueduct Bridge opened in 1843, linking the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal with the Alexandria Canal. One pier of that bridge is visible today near the Virginia shore. In the 1860s, William and Carolyn Ross had a farm in this area which they named Rosslyn. During the Civil War, Federal forces also occupied the region, and Forts Bennett, Haggerty, and Corcoran were built nearby as part of the defensive line around the capital. In the 1900s Rosslyn was one of several areas along the waterfront controlled by a lawless element. In 1904, members of the Good Citizens' League succeeded in closing down the gambling houses and saloons, restoring peace and safety to Rosslyn. In 1923, the Francis Scott Key Memorial Bridge replaced the Aqueduct Bridge. Throughout the early 1900s Rosslyn evolved into a commercial and industrial area. The 1960s marked the beginning of Rosslyn's transformation into a major urban center.
 
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal marker series.
 
Location.
Rosslyn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 18, 2015
2. Rosslyn Marker
38° 53.911′ N, 77° 4.332′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Highway (U.S. 29) and North Fort Myer Drive, on the left when traveling east on Lee Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in Arlington Gateway Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 Lee Highway, Arlington VA 22209, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Purple Heart Memorial (here, next to this marker); Watergate Investigation (approx. mile away); Fort Corcoran (approx. mile away); ARPANET (approx. 0.3 miles away); Causeway (approx. 0.3 miles away in District of Columbia); Fort Bennett (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Haggerty (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Indian Villages and Captain John Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Categories. PoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
Rosslyn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 18, 2015
3. Rosslyn Marker
Aqueduct Bridge<br>North Abutment image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 18, 2015
4. Aqueduct Bridge
North Abutment
Georgetown
Aqueduct Bridge Pier image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 18, 2015
5. Aqueduct Bridge Pier
Near the Virginia Shore of the Potomac
Canada Goose image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 18, 2015
6. Canada Goose
nesting on one of the remaining piers of the Aqueduct Bridge, near the Virginia Shore.
Francis Scott Key Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 18, 2015
7. Francis Scott Key Bridge
The tall buildings of Rosslyn can be seen in the distance, The ruin of the north abutment of the Aqueduct Bridge in the foreground.
DC Boundary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 18, 2015
8. DC Boundary Marker
This nearby boundary stone sits on the southern end of the Key Bridge, reminding us that DC owns the river so Rosslyn is on the very edge of the district.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 19, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement