Murfreesboro in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Rutherford County / Murfreesboro
Established 1803; named in honor of
Maj. Gen. Griffith Rutherford
of the Revolutionary Army; appointed by President Washington as a Member of the Legislature for the Southwest Territory, which later became the State of Tennessee.
First settlers came in 1799; the settlement was first named Cannonsburg. It was actually founded in 1811, on land donated by Capt. William Lytle, who stipulated that the town should be named for Hardy Murfree, a Revolutionary veteran of Williamson County. From June, 1818 through April, 1826, it was the capital of the state.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 65.)
Location. 35° 46.676′ N, 86° 24.08′ W. Marker is in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in Rutherford County. Marker is at the intersection of Shelbyville Highway (U.S. 231) and Lynnford Drive, on the left when traveling south on Shelbyville Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Murfreesboro TN 37128, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Black Fox Camp Spring (approx. 2.7 miles away); Army of the Cumberland Murfreesboro (approx. 3.4 miles away); Governor John Prince Buchanan (approx. 3.9 miles away); Bradley Academy (approx. 4.3 miles away); Oaklands (approx. 4.4 miles away); Old Bradley Academy (approx. 4½ miles away); Stones River Region Car Club, AACA (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murfreesboro.
Also see . . . Maj. Gen. Griffith Rutherford. (Submitted on December 31, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on April 21, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 31, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.