Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez, Guatemala
Cathedral of Antigua Guatemala
La construcción de esta catedral se inició el 29 de octubre de 1669 y se inauguró el 5 de noviembre de 1680. Destruida por los terremotos de 29 de julio de 1773 y 4 de febrero de 1976, la restauración de su fachada fue posible por haberla financiado el industrial guatemalteco Humberto Suarez Valdés. La ciudad de Antigua Guatemala, sus autoridades edilicias y el Consejo Nacional para la Protección de la Antigua Guatemala, le dejan testimonio por medio de esta placa, de su gratitud por tan oportuno y valioso donativo.
The construction of this cathedral began on October 29, 1669 and the cathedral was inaugurated on November 5, 1680. It was destroyed by the earthquakes of July 29, 1773 and February 4, 1976. The restoration of its façade was made possible through the financing of the Guatemalan industrialist Humberto Suarez Valdés. The city of Antigua Guatemala, its authorities and the National Council for the Protection of Antigua Guatemala leave this marker as a testimony to their gratefulness for this opportune and valuable donation.
Location. 14° 33.409′ N, 90° 43.987′ W. Marker is in Antigua Guatemala, Sacatepéquez Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Francisco Marroquín (a few steps from this marker); California Avocado Society Thanks Guatemala (within shouting distance of this marker); Pedro Cortés y Larraz (within shouting distance of this marker); Antigua Guatemala UNESCO World Heritage Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Palace of the Captaincy General (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fountain of Antigua's Central Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The University of San Carlos (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Sculptor Quirio Cataño (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Antigua Guatemala.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 536 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on October 19, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.