Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
Josset’s House 1969
This private house was destroyed in the hurricane of 1980 and by the action of the sea. By that time the owner, Josset Legh, had returned to England after a forty-year romance with her tropical island paradise.
In 1937 Josset secured a long term lease for Pigeon Island. She relinquished her lease during the American occupation of World War II, but returned in 1947 to build a thriving yacht haven. Her hospitality, charm and flair have become part of Pigeon Island’s legends.
Painted by Josset circa 1950
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 14° 5.463′ N, 60° 57.912′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. Touch for map. This marker is at Pigeon Island Natural Landmark, on the path towards the Carib Caves. Marker is in this post office area: Pigeon Island, Gros Islet LC01 101, Saint Lucia.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carib Caves (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); U.S. Signal Station (about 120 meters away); Musket Redoubt (about 120 meters away); Fort Rodney (about 180 meters away); Lime Kiln Cooperage (about 210 meters away); Gunslide (about 240 meters away); C.O.'s Quarters (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on April 22, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.