Faribault in Rice County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Cathedral of Our Merciful Saviour
The cathedral developed out of work begun in 1858 by James Lloyd Breck. The cornerstone was laid on July 16, 1862. James Renwick, architect of St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, is credited with the design. Envisioned as a gathering place for the Parish of the Good Shepherd, Seabury Divinity School, Shattuck, and St. Mary's Hall, the Faribault Cathedral was consecrated on June 24, 1869. The tower, designed by Ralph Adams Cram, architect of St. John the Divine in New York City, was added as a memorial to Bishop Whipple after his death in 1901. Whipple is buried in a crypt beneath the chancel. In 1941, St. Mark's in Minneapolis became the diocesan
Erected 1987 by Minnesota Historical Society.
Location. 44° 17.812′ N, 93° 16.238′ W. Marker is in Faribault, Minnesota, in Rice County. Marker is on 6th St NW, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 2nd Ave NW, Faribault MN 55021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Medford's Last Carriage Stone (approx. 8.6 miles away); Millersburg & the Northfield Bank Robbery (approx. 9.5 miles away); Christdala Swedish Lutheran Church 1877 (approx. 10.3 miles away); Nicolaus Gustafson (approx. 10.3 miles away); Nerstrand City Hall (approx. 10.5 miles away); A Flour Milling Revolution (approx. 10.7 miles away); Sesquicentennial Legacy Plaza (approx. 12.2 miles away); Civil War Monument (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. History of the Cathedral. The church's website, which includes a history of the Cathedral. (Submitted on May 11, 2015.)
2. Historic Faribault Stop 14 - Cathedral of Our Merciful Saviour. A six minute video history of the Cathredral, as part of a longer serialized video walking tour of Faribault. (Submitted on May 11, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2015, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 1, 2015, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. 2. submitted on May 11, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide-area photo of the marker in its surroundings. • Can you help?