Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Shelby County Courthouse
(continued on the other side)
(continued from the other side)
legislative chambers of Memphis and Shelby County governments, as well as state and local courts. Beginning in 1984 and utilizing taxes paid only by litigants, County Commissioner Charles Perkins directed an extensive, 8-year renovation that resulted in refurbished courtrooms and offices for Circuit, Probate, and Chancery Courts and the Civil Division of General Sessions Court. Many fine details were preserved and augmented, including mahogany doors and paneling, brass doorknobs embossed with the County seal, and walls, pilasters, and flooring comprised of seven varieties of marble.
Erected by The Seal of Shelby County Tennessee.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 Adams Avenue, Memphis TN 38103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Statuary at the Shelby County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Former Criminal Courts Building (about 400 feet away); Forrest's Early Home (about 400 feet away); 1862 Post Office (about 500 feet away); Piggly Wiggly (about 500 feet away); Eugene Magevney (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on May 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.