Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Herrera House

(The San Martin House)

 
 
Herrera House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 2, 2015
1. Herrera House Marker
Inscription. The Curbier Family, which was granted land in La Villita after the 1819 flood, sold this property in 1854 to Rafael Herrera, husband of their daughter Vicenta. Herrera built this house and owned it until 1897. The property, which extended back to Nacional Street, was bought by Thomas Dechman and P.H. Degnan, who operated the Dechman Coffee and Spice Mills there from 1903 to 1928. The coffee warehouse was located in an adjacent building on Nacional Street. The Public Service Company bought the property in 1935. After the City of San Antonio acquired it for La Vil1ita's restoration, the warehouse was demolished to make room for the construction of Bolívar Hall. The house was named for Don José de San Martín, who fought for the cause of independence in Argentina, Chile and Peru.

The enclosed wall panel next to the door shows the rubble-stone and lime mortar construction technique used in building the house.
 
Erected by La Villita Tenants Association and the San Antonio Conservation Society. (Marker Number N.)
 
Location. 29° 25.292′ N, 98° 29.354′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from King Philip Alley south of Villita Street, on the right when traveling
Herrera House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 2, 2015
2. Herrera House Marker
south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bolivar Hall (a few steps from this marker); Tejada House (a few steps from this marker); The Weaving Building And Kiln (a few steps from this marker); Kitchen (a few steps from this marker); Hessler House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Hessler House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowen-Kirchner House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Philip's College (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
 
Also see . . .  La Villita Historic Arts Village. (Submitted on May 4, 2015.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
San Martin House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 2, 2015
3. San Martin House
San Martin House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, May 2, 2015
4. San Martin House
Don Jose de San Martin was born at Yapeyu, on the River Uruguay February 25, 1778; he died in his seventy-seventh year at Boulogne, France August 7, 1850. A vigorous, able, clear-sighted soldier and statesman San Martin did more than any other man for the cause of independence of the Argentine, Chile and Peru. This house named in his honor as a gesture of peace and friendship toward the Spanish speaking people of South America. Peace Forever
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 4, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement