Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jonesborough in Washington County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Warner Institute

1876 - 1913

 
 
Warner Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 26, 2009
1. Warner Institute Marker
Inscription. Built by the Holston Association of Baptist Churches in 1854, this building housed the Holston Baptist Female Institute, Tadlock's School for Boys (ca. 1866-67), and Holston Male Institute (1867-76) operated by Confederate Colonel Robert Dungan. In 1876, Yardley Warner of the Society of Friends purchased the building and established Warner Institute, to educate "colored persons and train colored teachers." Julia B. Nelson and others from the American Missionary Association operated the school for the Friends. The school remained open until 1910, when the public school system began.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 28.)
 
Location. 36° 17.737′ N, 82° 28.193′ W. Marker is in Jonesborough, Tennessee, in Washington County. Marker is on E Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesborough TN 37659, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Emmerson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacob Brown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jonesborough (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chester Inn (approx. ¼ mile away); Christopher Taylor House
Warner Institute Building image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 26, 2009
2. Warner Institute Building
(approx. ¼ mile away); State Seal (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Abolition Publications (approx. 0.4 miles away); Alfred Martin Ray Buffalo Solder (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesborough.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
Cemetery near the Warner Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, September 26, 2009
3. Cemetery near the Warner Institute Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,035 times since then and 78 times this year. Last updated on May 11, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement