Prescott in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Bytown and Prescott Railway Company 1850
This company, incorporated in 1850, built a railway from Prescott to Bytown (Ottawa) for the shipment of lumber and farm products to markets of the north-eastern United States and Montreal. Substantial funds were raised at Bytown, Prescott and other municipalities along the line. In 1851 Walter Shanly, Chief Engineer, started construction, and a train first ran from Prescott to Bytown on Christmas Day, 1854. The railway, renamed the Ottawa and Prescott in 1855, was the first to serve the nationís future capital, giving it access to Prescott and to the St. Lawrence River and the Grand Trunk Railway. In 1867 it became the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway and in 1884 was leased to the Canadian Pacific Railway for 999 years.
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historical Sites Board.
Location. 44° 42.735′ N, 75° 30.47′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on King Street East (County Route 2) just from Russel Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 351 King Street East, Prescott, Ontario K0E 1T0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Edward Jessup (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Prescott War Memorial (about 180 meters away); Fort Wellington (about 210 meters away); Major James Morrow Walsh (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Prescott Barracks and Hospital (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Sir Richard William Scott (approx. half a kilometer away); The Forwarding Trade at Prescott (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Grand Trunk Railway (approx. 1.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.