Toronto in Toronto County, Ontario — Central Canada
William Arthur Parks 1868-1936
The first Director of the Royal Ontario Museum of Palaeontology, Parks was born in Hamilton and educated at the University of Toronto, from which he received a Doctorate in 1900. Initially known as an expert on "stromatoporoids", a unique group of invertebrate fossils, he later turned his attention to the study of vertebrate palaeontology. The expeditions Parks organized to the Canadian and American West between 1918 and 1935 provided most of the material for the Museum's extensive world-recognized dinosaur collection. As Professor and, from 1922-35, Head of Geology Department at the University of Toronto he taught geology and palaeontology and produced many publications, notable among them being his authoritative five-volume guide, "The Building and Ornamental Stones of Canada”.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Citizenship and Culture.
Location. 43° 40.046′ N, 79° 23.631′ W. Marker is in Toronto, Ontario, in Toronto County. Marker is on Queens Park just from Bloor Street West, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Queens Park, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C6, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as Charles Trick Currelly 1876-1957 (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Daniel Wilson (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Discovery of Insulin (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Macdonald-Mowat House (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Charles William Jefferys (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Canadian Airmen Monument (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); South African War Memorial (approx. 1.9 kilometers away); Mary Ann Shadd Cary (approx. 2.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toronto.
More about this marker. This marker is located to the left of the original 100 Queens Park entrance of the Royal Ontario Museum.
Categories. • Education • Paleontology •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.