Leeds in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Mt. Hebron School
In 1915, the men of the Mt. Hebron Community cleared the land donated by Bess Simmons for a school. Trees donated by Mitch Poole were placed on Rufus Brasher’s wagon and taken to Will Scott’s sawmill. The school opened in the fall of 1916 and closed in 1942. The Jefferson County Board of Education provided heating fuel, maintenance, and teachers' salaries. The school building also served as a voting site, a church, and hosted community meetings, such as the home extension club.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Organized in 1926, the Alabama Home Extension Clubs were administered by Auburn University. The mission was to “take the university to the people.” The Mt. Hebron Club was organized during the Great Depression. Home Demonstration Agent Irby Barrett met with the ladies for lessons in homemaking. During World War II, the club members, using surplus government cotton, were taught how to make mattresses, to prepare fruits and vegetables for freezing and canning, arts and crafts, decorating, and social skills.
Listed in the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. April 1, 2010
Erected 2010 by Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 33° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2617 Eastern Valley Road, Leeds AL 35094, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Hebron Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Rowan House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Congressional Medal Of Honor Recipients (approx. 3.6 miles away); Sidney Word Lee (approx. 3.7 miles away); Jonathan Bass House Museum (approx. 3.8 miles away); New Hope Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Leeds Benchmarks In History (approx. 4.6 miles away); John Henry (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leeds.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 52 times this year. Last updated on May 31, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 8, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.