Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Florence Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America

 
 
Florence Bethel Cumberland Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 25, 2009
1. Florence Bethel Cumberland Marker
Inscription. The "Mother Church" of the Presbytery, Florence Cumberland Colored Presbyterian Church originated in 1898 on property deeded by the city. Led, in 1918, by Rev. Holt Smith, it bought property on Alabama Street and built a frame structure. In 1948 Rev. Earl McDonald led in the construction of the annex named for him and the Jerome Robinson Education building. In 1997, the name became Florence Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America. The church continually proclaims the compassion of Christ throughout the world.
 
Erected 2008 by Florence Historic Board Florence Alabama.
 
Location. 34° 48.01′ N, 87° 40.247′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is on E, Alabama Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 408 E. Alabama St, Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Hicks Boulevard (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mark Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Patton Elementary School (approx. ¼ mile away); Lauderdale County
Florence Bethel Cumberland image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 25, 2009
2. Florence Bethel Cumberland
(approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church 1888 (approx. ¼ mile away); The American Legion (approx. ¼ mile away); Downtown Florence Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,008 times since then and 68 times this year. Last updated on June 1, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement