Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orangeburg in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Shanks Village

1946 - 1956

 
 
Shanks Village Marker image. Click for full size.
By Manuel P. Guevara, circa 2012
1. Shanks Village Marker
Inscription. On this site many of the Camp Shanks barracks were converted into housing for World War II veterans and their families. Providing living quarters for about 4,000 people, it became the largest veterans' student housing complex in the nation. The community became a self-contained unit with its own elected government and its own newspaper.
 
Erected by The Historical Society of Rockland County.
 
Location. 41° 2.766′ N, 73° 57.31′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of Orangeburg Rd. and Dutch Hill Road on Orangeburg Rd.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Orangeburg Town Hall, Orangeburg NY 10962, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Orangeburg World War II Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Orangeburg World War I Monument (approx. half a mile away); Camp Shanks (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Camp Shanks (approx. 0.6 miles away); Clausland Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Johannes J. Blauvelt Homestead (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jacob J. Blauvelt Homestead (approx. 0.8 miles away); 914 Sound Recording Studios (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orangeburg.
 
More about this marker. Orangetown Tricentennial Comm., sponsor
So. of Mtns. 33:1
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2015, by The Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 36 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on June 6, 2015, by The Historical Society of Rockland County of New City, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement