Early Families Here / Early South Frankfort
Early Families Here
Owners whose families lived in the original house here - J.W. Denny, State Attorney General; Thomas Loughborough and son Judge Preston Loughborough, Chief U.S. Postal Inspector; Sally S. Jouett, widow of Colonel William R. Jouett; and Thomasine Jouett, granddaughter of Revolutionary War hero Jack Jouett. This Queen Anne house was built by John Meagher, 1889-90.
Early South Frankfort
This site is part of 500-acre land grant (1782) to Revolutionary War soldier George Campbell, who served with George Rogers Clark. Property has been owned by notable persons including early legislators Otho Beatty, William Murray and Baker Ewing; State Auditor Thomas Page; and lawyer philanthropist John Hanna. South Frankfort, a separate town 1810-50, included most of Campbell survey.
Erected 1982 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1707.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 11.702′ N, 84° 52.853′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Second Street (U.S. 60) and Ewing Street, on the left when
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frankfort Bridge Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Good Shepherd Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Paul Sawyier Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vest-Lindsey House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corner In Celebrities (approx. 0.2 miles away); Justice Todd House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bibb Burnley House (approx. ¼ mile away); Garden Hall (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.