East Brewton in Escambia County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
East Brewton, 1906-1943
Dr. J. M. Shofner (1863-1926) founder,
dedicated his life to -
"Give the boys and girls a chance."
Mr. Elisha Downing - Humanitarian.
First building erected named in
honor of Mrs. Esther Downing.
Trustees-1906: J. M. Shofner,
D. Gillis, J. E. Finley, W. W. Hinote,
J. M. Davidson, J. F. Jones, James K. Kyser.
Erected 1975 by the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 31° 6.006′ N, 87° 3.346′ W. Marker is in East Brewton, Alabama, in Escambia County. Marker is at the intersection of Shoffner Street (County Road 22) and Snowden Street, on the right when traveling west on Shoffner Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Shoffner Street, Brewton AL 36426, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Crawford (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hart Station (approx. one mile away); Bank of Brewton (approx. one mile away); Escambia County Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Ritz Theater (approx. one mile The Leigh Place (approx. 1.1 miles away); Burnt Corn Park Cistern (approx. 1.2 miles away); Union Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Alabama Pioneers article on the Downing School. (Submitted on June 14, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 14, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.