Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Morehead House

 
 
Morehead House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dave Knoch, June 14, 2015
1. Morehead House Marker
Inscription. Built by Mark Hardin, Registrar, Kentucky Land Office, in 1810. Before Civil War, home of six prominent Kentuckians; among whom were John Harvie, President, Bank of Kentucky, and, for 13 years, Charles S. Morehead, Governor (1855-59). Lawrence Tobin acquired it in 1874 and it was held by heirs to 1961. He built railroad, Lexington to Louisville, and was local merchant 48 years.
 
Erected 1965 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 819.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 38° 11.945′ N, 84° 52.738′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is on West Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 326 West Main Street, Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crittenden House / An Eminent Statesman (within shouting distance of this marker); Macklin House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Church of the Ascension
Morehead House image. Click for full size.
By Dave Knoch, June 14, 2015
2. Morehead House
(within shouting distance of this marker); Emily Thomas Tubman House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Justice Todd House (about 400 feet away); Corner In Celebrities (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 256 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 15, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement