Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Berlin in Union County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Church of the Evangelical Association

 
 
First Church of the Evangelical Association Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, June 15, 2015
1. First Church of the Evangelical Association Marker
Inscription. Early preaching services of the Evangelical Association were held in homes, schoolhouses, and public buildings. The first church building of the denomination was erected at this spot in New Berlin, Union County PA in 1816. The lot for the building was bought May 1, 1815, for the purchase price of $112.00.

The original meeting-house was a log structure, 24x38 feet, and had two entrances with double doors. The windows were small and few in number. For evening services the room was lighted by candles arranged along the walls. The "pews" were benches with open backs and fashioned from boards. The pulpit resembled a birds's nest and was built into the west wall half-way between the floor and the ceiling, with a narrow stairway for access. It was only large enough to hold one speaker at a time. There was no carpet on the floor, and the windows were without shades. No paint was used on any part of the interior. The building was heated by a large, wood-burning, ten-plate stove in the center aisle.

The structure was erected with funds gathered over the large territory in which the Evangelical Association operated and was formally dedicated on March 2, 1817, by Presiding Elder John Dreisbach - the highest ranking official of the Association. It was a day of rejoicing for the ministers and members of the denomination.

In later years

First Church - 1816 image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, June 15, 2015
2. First Church - 1816
the building was weather-boarded and painted white, a small steeple with a bell was placed on the roof, and the interior was remodeled. The structure was torn down in 1873, when a brick church building was erected two blocks to the north, and relics were made from the pulpit an pews.
 
Location. 40° 52.592′ N, 76° 59.109′ W. Marker is in New Berlin, Pennsylvania, in Union County. Marker is on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Berlin PA 17855, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Sites in New Berlin (here, next to this marker); "Albright's People" (here, next to this marker); First Church Building and Printing House of the Evangelical Association (here, next to this marker); First Printing House of the Evangelical Association (a few steps from this marker); Evangelical Church (approx. half a mile away); John Jacob LeRoy (approx. 3 miles away); Leroy Massacre (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fought's Mill (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Berlin.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Second Church - 1873 image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, June 15, 2015
3. Second Church - 1873
Brick outline of first church foundation. image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, June 15, 2015
4. Brick outline of first church foundation.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement