First Church Building and Printing House of the Evangelical Association
The paving stones set in the ground mark the outlines of the first church building and the first printing house of the Evangelical Association. For over 50 years New Berlin PA served as its unofficial denominational headquarters. In 1854, as people moved westward and the Evangelical Association gained national stature, the denominational offices and operations moved to Cleveland OH.
In 1894, a split in the Evangelical Association created the United Evangelical Church. In 1922, the Evangelical Association and the United Evangelical Church re-united to form the Evangelical Church. In 1946 the Evangelical and the United Brethren in Christ denominations came together to form the Evangelical United Brethren (EUB) Church. In 1968 the EUB and Methodist denominations joined to form the United Methodist Church. This site is a Heritage Landmark of the United Methodist Church and supervised by the denomination's General Commission on Archives and History
Location. 40° 52.589′ N, 76° 59.106′ W. Marker is in New Berlin, Pennsylvania, in Union County. Marker is on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Berlin PA 17855, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.