Kavala in Kavala Regional Unit, Eastern Macedonia and Thrace Region, Greece
Black Sea - Silk Road
The history of the town begins in the 7th century BC, in the reign of Philip II, father of Alexander the Great, flourished here the seaport of Neapolis (Kavala) which served the city of Philippi. In 49 AD St. Paul disembarked in the port and began preaching for the first time Christianity in Europe. In the 8th century AD the town changed its name to Christoupoli. In 1391 the town was destroyed and then occupied by the Turks. In 1470 it is first mentioned as Kavala. During the 18th century the port became an important trading post for European trade. In 1913 with the Balkan Wars, Ottoman rule came to an end. Many interesting walking routes traverse this historic town with sites which are worth seeing by the visitor:
1, Old Town
3. Kamares (aqueduct)
4. The Imaret Mosque
5. Halil Bey Complex
6. The house of Mehmet Ali
7. Monument to St. Paul
8. Archaeological Museum
9. Tobacco Museum
10. The neoclassical mansion of Kyprou Street
11. Kapnergati Square
12. The port
Location. Touch for map. This marker is located at a scenic roadside rest area, on the high ground, overlooking the port city of Kavala. Marker is in this post office area: Kavala, Eastern Macedonia and Thrace Region 654 04, Greece.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Neapolis-Christoupolis-Kavala (7th C.BC. - 20th C.AD.) (approx. 2.5 kilometers away); Archeological Area Filippi (approx. 11.2 kilometers away); Philippi (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); Ancient Theater (approx. 11.4 kilometers away); Annexes to Octagon at Philippi (approx. 11.4 kilometers away); The Octagon at Philippi (approx. 11.5 kilometers away); Christian Philippi (approx. 11.5 kilometers away); Basilica (approx. 11.5 kilometers away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 26, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.