Ridgeland in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ridgeland, named for its location on the ridge between Charleston and Savannah, has been the seat of Jasper County since the county was created in 1912. It was first named Gopher Hill and grew up around a depot built on the Charleston & Savannah RR in 1860. The tracks were the boundry between Beaufort and Hampton counties, and Ridgeland belonged to two counties until 1912.
Chartered and incorporated in 1894, Ridgeland had a population of about 500 when it became the new seat of Jasper County in 1912. The Georgian Revival courthouse was designed by William Augustus Edwards and built in 1915. U.S. Hwy. 17, constructed in the 1920's has long brought many visitors through the town on their trips to and through the lowcountry.
Erected 2004 by The Town of Ridgeland. (Marker Number 27-24.)
Location. 32° 28.89′ N, 80° 58.963′ W. Marker is in Ridgeland, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Marker is on W Main St ( SC-336 ). Touch for map. Marker at Railroad Crossing, Eastside. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgeland SC 29936, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gopher Tortoise Square (within shouting St. Paul's Methodist Church (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Ridgeland Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Church of the Holy Trinity (approx. 1.3 miles away); Grahamville (approx. 1.3 miles away); Euhaw Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Great Swamp Baptist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgeland.
Also see . . . Ridgeland's History and the Heart of the Lowcountry. Originally named Gopher Hill by the Plant System, which built the railroad in the mid 1800's from Charleston to Savannah, and incorporated under that name in 1894, the town officially became Ridgeland in 1902 when the Atlantic Coastline Railroad took over the "line" and built a new depot about one mile north of the original "station." The name, Gopher Hill, was derived from the "gopher tortoise", which was once indigenous to the area but that name was not considered good enough for a new railroad (Submitted on June 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,088 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.