Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Frankfort Bridge Site
Frankfort Bridge Site
In 1810, the Frankfort Bridge Company was chartered to erect a bridge at this site. The bridge was completed here in 1816 at a cost of $25,000.00. In July, 1834 the bridge collapsed. A replacement bridge collapsed in December, 1835, just eight days after reopening, killing two people in the plunge. The double-roadway covered bridge familiar from Paul Sawyier's paintings was completed here in 1847. The present structure, which opened to pedestrians and vehicular traffic, including streetcars, in 1894, is know locally as the "Singing Bridge," due to the musical sound made by automobile tires passing over it.
Historical Enhancement of Frankfort "Singing Bridge"
The lighting and historical marker on this bridge were sponsored by Downtown Frankfort, Inc., a Main Street organization, in connection with Kentucky's 1992 Bicentennial Celebration. The project was made possible by a grant from the Kentucky Bicentennial Commission. The historical marker was made possible by a grant from the Franklin County Trust for Historic Preservation.
Erected 1992 by Franklin County Trust for Historic Preservation.
Location. 38° 11.825′ N, 84° 52.728′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Good Shepherd Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Paul Sawyier Library (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Justice Todd House (about 500 feet away); Corner In Celebrities (about 500 feet away); Vest-Lindsey House (about 500 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Macklin House (about 700 feet away); Morehead House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
More about this marker. The historical marker itself is attached to the left (east) support beam when approaching from the north on St. Clair Street. Dedication marker is attached to the right (west) support beam.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 2, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.