Cambridge Township in Lenawee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Joseph's Church / St. Joseph's Shrine
St. Joseph's Church originated as a missionary church during the 1850s. Priests from Adrian, Clinton, Manchester, Tecumseh and Monroe served the parish until the first resident priest arrived in 1954. The original church, which is still part of the present structure, was constructed in 1854 by Irish pioneers. In 1863 the first Mass was held in the church. The tower and stained-glass windows were added in 1911. In 1928, Father Joseph Pfeffer from St. Mary's in Manchester served here and oversaw the enlargement and remodeling of the church to its present form. The transept was built and nave enlarged, transforming the church to a cruciform plan. The red tile roof, the tower and the use of mosaic, tile and wrought iron in the interior give the church its Spanish Mission flavor.
As part of the 1928 expansion of St. Joseph's Church, a shrine--inspired by the grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes in France--was designed. In 1932 work began on the fourteen outdoor stations of the cross, which depict scenes of the Via Dolorosa (the sorrowful way), that Jesus walked to Calvary. The footpath begins at a replica of Pontius Pilates's palace then winds past balconied houses, through the judgment gate and ends at Christ's tomb. The crucifixion scene is
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S611.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 3.406′ N, 84° 9.908′ W. Marker is in Cambridge Township, Michigan, in Lenawee County. Marker is on Michigan Route 12 3 miles east of Highway 50, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8743 US-12, Brooklyn MI 49230, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Davenport House (approx. 2½ miles away); St. Michael and All Angels Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Brooklyn's Founder (approx. 5.4 miles away); Brooklyn Presbyterian Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Manchester War Memorial (approx. 8.3 miles away); Clinton Woolen Mill (approx. 9.7 miles away); Riverside Mortuary Chapel / Wirt Rowland (approx. 9.8 miles away); Woodstock Manual Labor Institute (approx. 10 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Crystal Shrine Grotto. Dionicio Rodriguez also worked on the Crystal Shrine Grotto in Memphis, Tennessee. (Submitted on July 3, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. W. H. L. McCourtie Estate. Ralph Corona also worked on bridges on the W. H. L. McCourtie Estate in nearby Somerset Center, Michigan. (Submitted on July 3, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 3, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.