Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paris, Île-de-France, France
 

Le pavillon de la Bibliothèque et l'aile nord du Louvre

Histoire du domaine, Palaise du Louvre

 
 
Le pavillon de la Bibliothèque et l'aile nord du Louvre Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 26, 2015
1. Le pavillon de la Bibliothèque et l'aile nord du Louvre Marker
Inscription. Lorsque Napoleon III décida d'agrandir le Louvre au nord, le chantier commença par la construction de cette aile et de ce pavillon, de 1852 à 1855, sous la direction de deux architectes : Louis Visconti, jusqu'à la fin de 1853, puis Hector Lefuel. Les colonnes baguées rappellent celles qui ornaient la façade du château des Tuileries. La décoration sculptée est due à plusieurs sculpteurs, dont Bosio le jeune pour les caryatides de l'étage, inspirées de celles de la Cour Carrée, et Préault pour les groupes du couronnement.

La Bibliothèque impériale, incendiée en 1871 durant la Commune, occupait toute la partie haute du pavillon. Un passage voûté — l'actuel passage Richelieu — donnait accès à la Cour Napoléon et desservait les deux cours et les bâtiments qui les entouraient conçus à l'origine pour abriter ministèries et casernes. Le ministère des Finances fut l'affectataire de ces espaces de 1876 à 1988.

[Translation using Google Translate with modifications]:
The Library pavilion and Louvre north wing
When Napoleon III decided to enlarge the Louvre to the north, this wing was constructed for the pavilion from 1852 to 1855, under the leadership of two architects: Louis Visconti, until the end of 1853, and then Hector Lefuel. The ringed columns are reminiscent of those adorning the facade of the Tuileries. The sculptural decoration involves several sculptors, including the young Bosio for the state caryatids, inspired by those of the Court Square, and Préault's large sculptural
Le pavillon de la Bibliothèque et l'aile nord du Louvre Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 26, 2015
2. Le pavillon de la Bibliothèque et l'aile nord du Louvre Marker
Marker is to the right of the doors in this photograph.
groups of angels.

The Imperial Library, burned during the 1871 Paris Commune, occupied the entire upper part of the pavilion. An archway - the current Passage Richelieu - accessed the Napoléon Court and served the two courses. The buildings around them were originally designed to house Ministeries and barracks. The Ministry of Finance occupied these areas from 1876 to 1988.
 
Location. 48° 51.735′ N, 2° 20.182′ E. Marker is in Paris, Île-de-France. Marker is on Rue de Rivoli, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Across from the Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre Metro Station. Marker is in this post office area: Paris, Île-de-France 75001, France.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ludovic Jacquinot (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Square du Vert-Galant (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Jacques de Molay (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Centre français de rapatriement (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); La Conciergerie (approx. one kilometer away); Sainte-Chapelle (approx. one kilometer away); Tribunal de Commerce (approx. one kilometer away); Ici s’elevait Le Chapelle Saint Michel du Palais (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, Music
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement