Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Jackson Warehouse

 
 
Jackson Warehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
1. Jackson Warehouse Marker
Inscription. T.E. Jackson, a prominent businessman from Fort Griffin (15 mi. N) built this structure in the late 1870s as a warehouse for a general merchandise store. For more than 100 years, it served the town of Albany as the site of various commercial businesses, including photography studios and a cafe. The well-known department store Sanger Bros. owned the Jackson warehouse from 1887 until 1906. The Jackson warehouse is important as a reminder of the commercial businesses that made Albany an important supply point for the West Texas cattle industry.

Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2707.)
 
Location. 32° 43.349′ N, 99° 17.849′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is on S. Main Street (U.S. 283) south of S. 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White Elephant Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Hartfield Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Shackelford County
Front Facade of Jackson Warehouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
2. Front Facade of Jackson Warehouse
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Rev. John Brown, Clara Barton and the 1886-1887 Drought Relief (within shouting distance of this marker); First Producing Oil Well in West Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Cattle Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Edward Nail, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Shackelford County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Jackson Warehouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
3. Jackson Warehouse
View to southwest across Main Street
Jackson Warehouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
4. Jackson Warehouse
View to North Along S. Main Street (US 283) image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
5. View to North Along S. Main Street (US 283)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 10, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement