Paris, Île-de-France, France
Passages Jouﬀroy et Verdean
Histoire de Paris
The Grange Bateliere in the Middle Ages was a fortified farm (Grange Bataillée). This name was later given to a small water race, which was removed during the late eighteenth century. At number 10 on this street was built, under Louis XV, the hotel Biéville or Nolivos. It was under Louis Philippe that two arcades opened for the passage Jouffroy, in 1845, and the Passage Verdeau in 1846. The first was created on part of the Aguado hotel gardens (current town hall). Their construction used new industrial materials such as steel structures and glass roofs. The transition have enjoyed great popularity since they opened. Lined with elegant shops and sheltered from the rain, these charming places attracted
Location. 48° 52.381′ N, 2° 20.531′ E. Marker is in Paris, Île-de-France. Marker is at the intersection of Rue de la Grange Batelière and Passage Jouffrey et Verdean, on the left when traveling west on Rue de la Grange Batelière. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 Rue de la Grange Batelière, Paris, Île-de-France 75009, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Passage des Panoramas (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Le Golf Drouot (about 150 meters away); Cour Cadet (about 210 meters away); Accès Guimard (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Jewish Student Memorial (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Square Aristade Caviaillé-Coll (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); A la Memoire des Cheminots de la Region du Nord (approx. 1.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 11, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.