Paris, Île-de-France, France
Place du Trocadero
Histoire de Paris
Inscription. Il y a 200 ans, la colline de Chaillot n'était qu'un désert escarpé, hérissé de rochers, et percé de carrières. Napoléon, frappé par la beauté du site, décide d'y bâtir un palais pour son fils, "un kremlin cent fois plus beau que celui de Moscou". Les plans sont commandés dès 1810 à Percier et Fontaine, qui dessinent un projet grandiose, embrassant le coteau sur 400 m. On nivelle, on exproprie, on jette en 1813 le pont d'léna sur la Seine. La chute de l'Empire entraîne l'arrêt de travaux. Un nouveau projet naît sous la Restauration, pour célébrer la prise d'une redoute en Espagne par le duc d'Angoulême; il n'en reste que le nom: Trocadéro. A l'occasion de l'Exposition de 1878, Davioud construit le premier palais de Trocadéro très controversé, une rotonde entourée de 4 tours romano-mauresques. Sa destruction est décidée lors de l'Exposition de 1937. Il est remplacé par l'actuel palaise de Chaillot, œuvre de Carlu, Boileau et Azéma, parfaitement adaptée au site. La sobriété des façades est rehaussée par les sentences de Paul Valéry gravées en lettres d'or.
By Kevin W., June 27, 2015
1. Place du Trocadero Marker
For 200 years, the Chaillot hills were a craggy wasteland, bristling with rocks and open quarry pits. Napoleon, struck by the beauty of the site, decided to build a palace for his son, "a Kremlin one hundred times more beautiful than the one in Moscow". The plans were ordered in 1810 and the grandiose project was drawn by Percier and Fontaine, embracing the hillside. In 1813, 400 meters of land were leveled and the the Pont d'lena (Jena Bridge) over the Seine was incorporated into the project. The fall of the Empire ended the effort until,
during the Restoration, a new project was begun to celebrate the Duke of Angoulême capturing the fortified Isla del Trocadero in Spain (1823). During the 1878 Exhibition, Gabriel Davioud built the first Palace of Trocadéro, an unpopular design, that included a rotunda surrounded by four Romanesque-Moorish towers. It was demolished prior to the 1937 exhibition and replaced by the current Palais de Chaillot, designed by Jacques Carlu, Louis-Hippolyte Boileau and Léon Azéma, which is perfectly suited to the site. The sobriety of the façade is enhanced by quotes from Paul Valéry engraved in gold letters.
By Kevin W., June 27, 2015
2. Place du Trocadero Marker
Location. 48° 51.738′ N, 2° 17.247′ E. Marker is in Paris, Île-de-France. Marker is on Place du Trocadéro et du 11 Novembre. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the Musée national de la Marine (naval museum). Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Place du Trocadéro et du 11 Novembre, Paris, Île-de-France 75116, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Le Drapeau Tricolore (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Bureau de Gustave Eiffel (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); La Premiere Liaison Radioelectrique (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Conference Gate (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); L’égoùt de Paris (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); The Students of France (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Jacques Cartier (approx. 1.7 kilometers away); Samuel Champlain (approx. 1.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Settlements & Settlers •
Postcard by Ancien. Etabs. Nordein et Cie, circa 1920
3. Paris - Vue sur le Palais du Trocadero, prise de Tour Eiffel
View of the Trocadero, taken from the Eiffel Tower.
By Jonas Lucien, circa 1917
4. Trocadero Poster
The Trocadero was the site of many cultural events, as exemplified by the poster for an afternoon matinee (January 21, 1917) of military music, benefiting widows and orphans.
Postcard by the Detroit Publishing Company, circa 1900
5. The Trocadero, Exposition Universelle, 1900, Paris, France
Before the Palais de Chaillot, the Palais du Trocadéro stood opposite the Eiffel Tower. It was built by the architect Davioud for the 1878 Universal Exhibition. "At the time [in the 1930s], this building, ranging all along the Chaillot hill overlooking the valley of the Seine, was considered to be an outmoded relic of the eclectic 'fin de siècle' style", according to the Cité de l'architecture et du patrimoine site. It was made up of an immense rotunda – in line with the Champ de Mars – housing a 5,000 seat festival hall, flanked by two towers, and, symmetrically on either side, two large curvilinear wings, already sketching out the outlines of the future 1930s edifice. - France.FR ("The Offical Website of France")
Image courtesy of the Library of Congress
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on July 13, 2015. 4, 5. submitted on July 15, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.