Paris, Île-de-France, France
Square Jean XXIII
Histoire de Paris
Square Jean XXIII is the oldest public garden area in Paris. Created in 1848, it precedes the squares developed during (Georges-Eugène) Haussmann's renovation of Paris. The location was the palace of the archbishopric, a splendid building constructed in 1697 under the direction of the Cardinal de Noailles, and preceded to the west by the remains of the home of Maurice de Sully, built in the second half of twelfth century and frequently altered. Looted and burned on 14 February 1831 during a riot, that palace was demolished and replaced by this park. Between the Notre Dame and the current fountain here stood the small church of Saint-Denis-du-Pas, demolished in 1813.
Location. Touch for map. At the intersection of four roads, Rue du Cloître Notre, Quai aux Fleurs, Pont Saint-Louis, and Quai de l'Archevêché. Marker is in this post office area: Paris, Île-de-France 75004, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bells of Notre Dame (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Marcel Rey (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Dante rédige la Divine Comédie (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); André Perrin (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); A Tous Les Français (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Saint-Benoît le Bétourné (approx. half a kilometer away); Libération de Paris (approx. half a kilometer away); Tribunal de Commerce (approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 12, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.