West Orange in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Here in the 1770’s in this area called Williamstown lived brothers Nathaniel and Benjamin Williams, prosperous farmers and operators of a saw and grist mill. As the Revolution approached, their Loyalist views attracted people of similar sentiments who congregated at this intersection and it became known as Tory Corner.
Erected by Charles Edison Fund Tory Corner Business Association
Back of monument:
Mary Williams, wife of Nathaniel, did not accompany her husband to join the King’s forces in 1777, but chose to tend the family farm and assist the cause of Liberty. She kept and maintained the Williams’ property and her community and personal ties were able to withstand the strains of the Revolution.
To all the patriots who gave of their fortunes and their lives for this new nation, we dedicate this monument July 4, 1976
Erected 1976 by Tory Corner Business Association.
Location. 40° 47.252′ N, 74° 13.87′ W. Marker is in West Orange, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (County Route 659) and Washington Street (County Route 671), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 289 Main Street, West Orange NJ 07052, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Edison Cement Slab (approx. ¼ mile away); The Black Maria (approx. ¼ mile away); Making Movies (approx. ¼ mile away); Black Maria Replica (approx. ¼ mile away); The Courtyard (approx. ¼ mile away); Blacksmith Shop – Building 7 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Truck of the Second Commercial Electric Railroad Locomotive. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thomas Edison’s West Orange Laboratory (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Orange.
Categories. • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 964 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.