Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

CCC Camp/German Internment Camp

 
 
CCC Camp/German Interment Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 12, 2015
1. CCC Camp/German Interment Camp Marker
Inscription. As part of the ‘New Deal’ envisioned by President Roosevelt, a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was built in 1934 across the Rio Bravo from the fort. The Fort Stanton CCC employed civilians in soil conservation, forestry and women’s programs as well as providing labor at Fort Stanton and the surrounding area. The camp closed in 1940.

In 1941, the camp was reoccupied, but this time by the 410 man crew of the German Luxury Liner S. S. Columbus. The ship had been scuttled by its crew to avoid capture by the British and the ‘Distressed Seamen’ were rescued by the US Navy. Upon their arrival, the sailors began improving the camp by constructing several new barracks, support facilities and the Olympic size pool. The crew was far removed from the horrors of World War II, but were never considered Prisoners of War, only interned alien enemies. By the summer of 1945, they had all been sent home. A few Japanese-American detainees occupied the camp for several months, but by October 1945, the camp had closed.
 
Erected 2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
 
Location. 33° 29.709′ N, 105° 31.684′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on Black Jack Pershing Road near State Road
Entrance to Recreation Hall built by German internees in 1944 image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 12, 2015
2. Entrance to Recreation Hall built by German internees in 1944
Erbaut 1944 = Built 1944.
220, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is one of many informative markers on the grounds of Fort Stanton Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commanding Officer's Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Officer's Quarters (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Officer's Quarters (about 400 feet away); Commissary Warehouse (about 400 feet away); Chapel (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Officer’s Quarters (about 500 feet away); Nurse's Quarters (about 500 feet away); L.G. Murphy Sutler Store (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stanton.
 
More about this marker. The marker overlooks the site described which is approximately 500 yards to the north.
 
Regarding CCC Camp/German Internment Camp. The CCC facility was Camp SCS-6-N. For more historical detail read INTERNED, Internment of the SS Columbus Crew at Fort Stanton, New Mexico 1941-1945, by James J. McBride
 
Also see . . .
1. The German American Internee Coalition Internment Camp Histories. History of a number of internment camps,
CCC Camp/German Interment Camp in the distance. image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 12, 2015
3. CCC Camp/German Interment Camp in the distance.
including Crystal City:...Before and during World War II, the fort was used as an internment camp. The first residents of the Fort Stanton Internment Camp arrived in 1939. They were the German crew of the German luxury liner Columbus, which had been scuttled off the coast of Cuba. At first these internees were labeled as “distressed seamen paroled from the German Embassy”, but when the U.S. entered the war, the U.S. Department of Justice formalized the seamen's internee status and tightened security at the fort by surrounding the barracks with barbed-wire fencing and bringing in border patrol agents as guards. Later other internees were brought to Ft. Stanton, both German and Japanese. Some historians believe that many of the men sent to Ft. Stanton during this time, had, for some reason, been branded as troublemakers and were therefore sent here to be “segregated” from the rest of the internee population. Security at Ft. Stanton was said to be the most stringent of any of the internment camps. (Submitted on July 13, 2015.) 

2. Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 22, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
 
Categories. War, World II
 
Remains of German Interment Camp image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 12, 2015
4. Remains of German Interment Camp
Remains of swimming pool built by German internees in 1942 image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 12, 2015
5. Remains of swimming pool built by German internees in 1942
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 256 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 12, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement