Coplay Made Cement: Cement Made Coplay
Saylor Cement Museum
The inventive genius behind the industry was David Saylor (1827-1884). In 1871 Saylor received the first American patent for high-quality Portland cement. By 1894 Saylorís Coplay Cement Company built these kilns. During the plantís heyday, workers loaded endless numbers of bricks made from ground cement rock into the doors at the tops of the kilns. On the second level down, laborers shoveled in coal as fuel. Kiln temperatures above 2000 degrees Fahrenheit transferred the cement rock into chunks of clinker. Carts of clinker clattered into the growing mill to be ground into cement.
By 1900, the Lehigh Valley produced ĺ of all Portland cement used in this country. Despite long hours, hard labor, and clinging cement dust, Eastern European immigrants and local residents flocked to work in local cement mills. Ethnic social clubs and churches helped groups create their own communities.
“I saw a great dust flying out of the mills and the men who carried the ground cement away in bags, to load the wagons were covered with dust.”
(Inscription below the image in the upper right)
Blockhouses, a brick factory, grinding mills and other long-gone factory structures live on in this photograph of the cement plant taken about 1900. Today only the kilns remain.
Location. 40° 40.589′ N, 75° 29.777′ W. Marker is in Coplay, Pennsylvania, in Lehigh County. Marker is on North 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 245 North 2nd Street, Coplay PA 18037, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lehigh Valley Rock Suitable for Hydraulic Cement (a few steps from this marker); Saylor Park-Welcome (within shouting distance of this marker); Discovery of Portland Cement
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 14, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.