Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Batesville in Independence County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pfeiffer Community

 
 
Pfeiffer Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judy King, September 7, 2012
1. Pfeiffer Community Marker
Inscription. A light-colored crystalline limestone known as Batesville marble has been mined in this area since 1836 and most of the material used in the Arkansas State Capitol under construction from 1899 to 1915 originated here. Pfeiffer was also a railhead with wagons coming from many points to pick up freight. The community is named for the Pfeiffer family which began a quarry here about 1903.
 
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial.
 
Location. 35° 49.463′ N, 91° 35.572′ W. Marker is near Batesville, Arkansas, in Independence County. Marker is on N St Louis St (U.S. 167), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3809 N. St. Louis St., Batesville AR 72501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Batesville During The Civil War (approx. 4.6 miles away); Arkansas Methodist Conference (approx. 4.8 miles away); Lafferty Memorial Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Independence County Office and Library (approx. 4.9 miles away); Independence County First County Court House (approx. 5.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Pfeiffer Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judy King, September 7, 2012
2. Pfeiffer Community Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2013, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on July 15, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2013, by Judy King of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement