Pecos in Reeves County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Pecos City
The congregation's first church building was completed in 1887. A larger sanctuary was built in 1910, during the pastorate of the Rev. J. B. Cole (1858-1947). The First Baptist Church of Pecos City was a member of the Sweetwater Baptist Association from 1886 until 1902, when the El Paso association was organized here. It later became part of the Pecos Valley association.
Over the years, the fellowship has been served by a number of prominent pastors, including the Rev. L. R. Millican who preached on the west Texas frontier for more than 50 years. The First Baptist Church of Pecos City has been active in home and foreign missionary work and has placed a great emphasis on community service.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1662.)
Location. 31° 25.366′ N, 103° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 423 S Hickory St, Pecos TX 79772, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Christian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); George R. Reeves (approx. ¼ mile away); Orient Hotel (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Pecos Cantaloupe (approx. 0.4 miles away); Reeves County-Pecos, Texas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spanish Explorers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mrs. Lillie W. Cole (approx. 0.4 miles away); Emigrants' Crossing (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pecos.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church of Pecos Texas. (Submitted on July 16, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.