Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Shackelford County

 
 
Shackelford County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
1. Shackelford County Marker
Inscription. First inhabited by nomadic Indian tribes, Shackelford County was created in 1858 and named for Dr. John Shackelford (1790-1857). The first permanent Anglo-American settlers in this area included J.C. Lynch (1828-1912), a native of Ireland who moved here in 1858; W.H. Ledbetter (1833-84), who arrived in 1859 and later started the Ledbetter salt works; T.E. Jackson (b. 1820), a merchant who settled in the northern part of the county before 1860; and G.W. Greer (1812-93), who operated a stage station on Hubbard Creek after 1861.
     During the Civil War (1861-65), settlers took refuge at “family forts” such as Fort Mugginsville and Fort Hubbard. They gained military protection from frontier perils when the U.S. Army established Fort Griffin in 1867. Griffin, the lawless settlement that grew up around the fort, attracted buffalo hide hunters and cattlemen driving herds up the Western Cattle Trail.
     Shackelford County was organized Sept. 12, 1874, with Fort Griffin as temporary county seat. Albany was chosen permanent county seat in Nov. 1874. The county’s population increased sharply after the arrival of the Texas Central Railroad in 1881. Petroleum production generated an economic boom, 1910-30. Chief industries today (1976) are petroleum and ranching.
 
Erected 1976 by
Shackelford County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
2. Shackelford County Marker
Located on the west side
of the grounds of the Shackelford County Courthouse
Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4648.)
 
Location. 32° 43.359′ N, 99° 17.818′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of S. Main Street (U.S. 283) and S. 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the west side of the grounds of the Shackelford County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 S. Main St, Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rev. John Brown, Clara Barton and the 1886-1887 Drought Relief (a few steps from this marker); Shackelford County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); First Producing Oil Well in West Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Cattle Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Lt. Col. William E. Dyess (within shouting distance of this marker); White Elephant Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Hartfield Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
 
Also see . . .  Shackelford County. From the Texas State Historical Association's "Handbook of Texas Online".
Shackelford County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
3. Shackelford County Courthouse
View to the east across S. Main Street (US 283)
Marker is right (south) of the sidewalk to the main entrance of the courthouse
(Submitted on July 17, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement