Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Blackshear High School
In 1932, the district established the first African American school in a one-room structure at the corner of South Muskingum and Myrtle streets. Ella Sayles served as the first teacher for the initial class of eight students. As the school grew, the district added a second classroom and utilized space at a nearby church. Although the district added three more rooms in the 1940s, by the 1947-48 school year, increased population caused the students to attend classes in shifts. In the fall of 1948, a campus for Blackshear High School opened at this site. Named for the noted Texas black educator Edward Lavoisier Blackshear, the school provided expanded facilities for African American students in the upper grade levels.
Upon integration of all the district schools in 1966, the campus was converted for use as Blackshear Middle School. In 1983, it became a magnet elementary school. Its link to early education in
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13490.)
Location. 31° 50.615′ N, 102° 21.252′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is on South Dixie Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 South Dixie Boulevard, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The White-Pool House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ector County Newspapers (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of The Dawson Saloon (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Odessa Telephone Exchange (approx. 0.9 miles away); Odessa Land & Townsite Company (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard (approx. 0.9 miles away); General Matthew D. Ector (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ector County Land Rush (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.