Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Francisville in West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Myrtles

 
 
The Myrtles Marker image. Click for full size.
July 8, 2005
1. The Myrtles Marker
Inscription. Home of the famed Gen. David Bradford, leader of the Whisky Rebellion. The Myrtles was built in 1796 on a Spanish Land Grant. The architecture, elaborate plaster work and lacy ironwork make this twenty room mansion one of Louisiana's most unusual plantation homes.
 
Location. 30° 48.163′ N, 91° 23.199′ W. Marker is in St. Francisville, Louisiana, in West Feliciana Parish. Marker is on Old U.S. 61 0.3 miles north of Rinaudo Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Francisville LA 70775, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lt. Commander John E. Hart (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rosedown Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Bayou Sara (approx. 2 miles away); West Feliciana Railroad (approx. 2 miles away); Afton Villa (approx. 2.8 miles away); Audubon Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); John Archer LeJeune (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Francisville.
 
Also see . . .  Myrtles Plantation. The National Park Service's page for The Myrtles:General David Bradford was forced to flee from President George Washington's army
The Myrtles Marker image. Click for full size.
July 8, 2005
2. The Myrtles Marker
in 1794, because of his leadership role in the Whisky Rebellion. General Bradford arrived in Louisiana and obtained a Spanish land grant of roughly 650 acres. A wealthy judge and businessman from Washington County, Pennsylvania, Bradford showed interest in the area before the conclusion of the unsuccessful Whisky Rebellion forced him to settle there. Bradford built the plantation that was later named "the Myrtles" in 1797.
(Submitted on July 19, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Antebellum South, US
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2015. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement