Deshler in Thayer County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
In 1885, according to a book written by Kern, there were approximately seventy inhabitants in Friedensau and the surrounding areas. There were two German Lutheran churches, a school, post office, water-powered grist mill, lumber yard, hotel, livery stable, blacksmith shop and a number of other small businesses.
As late as the fall of 1886, it was expected that the Rock Island Railroad would be extended from Fairbury through Hebron, Friedensau, Kiowa, Oak and Nelson. However, due to the influence of area landowner John G. Deshler, the railroad was routed east through his property. After the railroad reached Deshler in 1887, the buildings in Friedensau were moved over the fenceless prairie and relocated in Deshler. Only the Trinity Lutheran Church and its cemetery remain in the Friedensau area today.
Erected by Harold & Lois Struve Foundation and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 315.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 8.83′ N, 97° 41.359′ W. Marker is in Deshler, Nebraska, in Thayer County. Marker is at the intersection of US Highway 136 (U.S. 136) and Road 5600, on the left when traveling west on US Highway 136. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deshler NE 68340, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Tribute To Hebron, Its People and Its Schools (approx. 5.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); Thayer County (approx. 5.4 miles away); World's Largest Porch Swing (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Hebron CCC And POW Camps (approx. 5.8 miles away); Home of 6 Man Football (approx. 10 miles away); Municipal Auditorium (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Friedensau Trinity Lutheran Church. Our little country church is all that remains of an 1880's German community known as Friedensau. The white, wood frame church building is more than one hundred years old and sits on forty acres of Nebraska prairie. The beautiful surroundings were the inspiration for the German name, Friedensau, which means Peaceful Meadow. It is located seven miles west of Hebron, and five miles north of Deshler... (Submitted on July 18, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2015, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.