Reims in Marne Département, Champagne-Ardenne, France
Quartier des Banques
Banking district. Buildings from the 20's.
The 1920s saw several banks relocate to this area of the city. In 1923, at the southwest corner of Rue Carnot, architect André Narjoux constructed, for Crédit Lyonnais, an imposing facade with columns, pilasters and balconies, including a rounded corner entrance that entered into a large hall with Doric columns and glass covered arches. The architect Emile Dufay-Lamy, endowed by the Chapuis bank, constructed a monumental building at No. 14 Rue Carnot, inspired by nineteenth century art and displaying mythological statues. A victim of the 1929 banking crisis, the building then housed the Conservatory of Music between 1934 and 1994. Taken over and rebuilt by the Caisse d'Epargne, retaining only its facade, the building is once again serving in its original
Erected by la ville de Reims. (Marker Number 24.)
Location. 49° 15.285′ N, 4° 1.938′ E. Marker is in Reims, Champagne-Ardenne, in Marne Département. Marker is at the intersection of Rue Carnot and Rue du Trésor, on the right when traveling east on Rue Carnot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 Rue Carnot, Reims, Champagne-Ardenne 51100, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Porte et Place du Chapitre de la Cathédral (within shouting distance of this marker); Palais de Justice (within shouting distance of this marker); Edmond Marin la Meslée (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Maison du Trésorier du Chapitre de la Cathédral (about 120 meters away); Cathédral Notre-Dame (about 150 meters away); Louis XV (about 150 meters away); Musée des Beaux-Arts (about 180 meters away); Place Royale (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Reims.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.