Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Chapel

 
 
Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 18, 2015
1. Chapel Marker
Inscription. The Catholic chapel was originally built in 1913 on a wing of building 11 across the parade ground. In 1938, buildings 10, 11 and 12 were demolished, but the chapel was left free standing. A new stone façade was added to the old chapel consisting of stones from the original barracks/hospital that was demolished. In 1940, a new chapel was built on this site and the stone façade that was installed on the old chapel was dismantled, moved to the new chapel and reassembled.

‘When moved to its new location, the beautiful entrance was duplicated by numbering and resetting each stone in its original location.’

Eugene A. Merrell, resident

(Caption of photo at top of marker:) The old Catholic chapel in its original location with a new stone façade.


 
Erected 2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
 
Location. 33° 29.74′ N, 105° 31.605′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on Black Jack Pershing Road near State Road 220, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Officer's Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker);
Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 18, 2015
2. Chapel and Marker
a different marker also named Officer’s Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding Officer's Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Hospital (about 300 feet away); CCC Camp/German Internment Camp (about 400 feet away); Barracks / Dining Hall (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Officer's Quarters (about 500 feet away); Commissary Warehouse (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stanton.
 
More about this marker. This marker is one of an impressive complement of bronze markers with photo etchings which describe the extensive physical remains of historic Fort Stanton, New Mexico.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 22, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionForts, Castles
 
Fort Stanton Chapel image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 18, 2015
3. Fort Stanton Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement