Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
On “The Line” 1880-1940
The building at the very end of the line originally housed a carousel that was powered by an unpredictable mule tethered to a central pole in the basement. In 1897, the building was acquired by Everett Hobbs and Wilbur Eaton, purveyors of popcorn, taffy, and other summer delights.
Downings’s seafood restaurant and “Blind Pat” Kenneally’s double-jointed peanut stand were among the other early tenants on the line, as were a shooting gallery, a pool room, a bowling alley, and an arcade.
One of the most popular of the park’s commercial attractions in the early 20th century was the Willows Casino dance hall. In the 1920s, the Casino was reopened as the Charleshurst Ballroom, and for the next two decades, locals flocked to the hall to dance to the music of bands headlined by Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, and other big names of the era.
By 1940 the Charleshurst had been joined on the line by a new carousel,
Erected by City of Salem.
Location. 42° 32.113′ N, 70° 52.182′ W. Marker is in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker can be reached from Restaurant Row. Touch for map. The marker is near Restaurant Row in Salem Willows Park. Marker is in this post office area: Salem MA 01970, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem Willows Park Opens for Business (within shouting distance of this marker); Salem Willows (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hale Farm (approx. one mile away); Hospital Point Light / Honor the Valiant Men (approx. one mile away); Hospital Point Lighthouse (approx. one mile away); Beverly Korean War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Memorial Bell (approx. 1.1 miles away); Beverly World War I Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.