Paris, Île-de-France, France
Histoire de Paris
Dedicated to Saint Vincent de Paul, the church dominates the area where he lived and worked. It was started in 1824 by Jean-Baptiste Lepère with the assistance of his son-in-law (Jacques) Hittorff, who eventually completed the project. Following a basilica plan, it uniquely evokes all the greatest achievements of religious architecture. Above the portico, borrowed from Greek temples, is a carved pediment by Nanteuil-Leboeuf, a glorification of the saint surrounded by figures symbolizing its action: a missionary, a galley slave, Sisters of Charity devoting themselves to children or sick. Inside, the painted frieze from 1848 to 1853 by Hippolyte
Location. 48° 52.687′ N, 2° 21.127′ E. Marker is in Paris, Île-de-France. Marker is on Rue la Fayette just east of Rue d'Abbeville, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paris, Île-de-France 75010, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Square Aristade Caviaillé-Coll (a few steps from this marker); Gare du Nord (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); A la Memoire des Cheminots de la Region du Nord (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Jewish Student Memorial (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Accès Guimard (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Cour Cadet (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Passages Jouffroy et Verdean (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Square Louise-Michel (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Also see . . . WELCOME to the website of the Saint-Vincent de Paul catholic community in Paris!. The Parish' English-language version of their website. As of submission, their English-language version has the history section still under construction, but one from here it is just two clicks away to the French version of their history, if so inclined. (Submitted on July 27, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on July 27, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.